BAKED BLUEBERRY OATMEAL CUPS
Busy mornings? Then you’ll love these baked oatmeal cups. Why oatmeal? It’s high in soluble fiber which helps with digestion and metabolizing carbs, it can help lower LDL cholesterol and, in turn, improve heart health and regular blood sugar, and it’s high in magnesium which helps your body process calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin K. Add in some bananas for potassium and berries for phytonutrients (and more), and you’ve got one awesome breakfast to help you power through the day.
But, what kind of oats should you eat? Rolled? Instant? Steel-Cut? We prefer steel-cut as they’re the least processed, but they also take the longest to cook. Rolled oats are what we’re most used to. They take about 10 minutes to cook and your body digests them a little faster than steel-cut oats. Instant oats are the most processed and have the highest glycemic index ranking of the three types.
This is a great oatmeal recipe that you can make ahead of time and take with you on the go.
Baked Oatmeal Cups with Bananas and Berries
(Makes 12 servings, 1 cup each)
Total Time: 45 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.
Nonstick cooking spray
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large bananas, mashed
1 Tbsp. raw honey
2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1½ tsp. baking powder
1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup fresh blueberries (or raspberries)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare twelve muffin cups by coating with spray. Set aside.
3. Combine eggs, extract, bananas, and honey in a large bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine oats, cinnamon, and baking powder in a medium bowl; mix well.
5. Add oat mixture to egg mixture; mix well.
6. Add almond milk; mix well.
7. Divide oat mixture evenly between prepared muffin cups.
8. Top evenly with blueberries.
9. Bake 26 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Tip: Raisins, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pomegranate seeds, or dark chocolate chips can be substituted for blueberries.
Tags: 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Approved, 21 Day Fix Recipe, Challenge, Clean Eating, clean eating recipe, Diet, Fitness, Food, healthiest meal of the day, Healthy Diet, Healthy Recipe, Lifestyle, Meal Replacement, Weight Loss, Women over 40, yoyo dieting